A death has occurred…What do I do now?
When death has occurred, notify Trinity Memorial Centers Funeral Homes by calling 423-723-8177. A funeral director is on call 24 hours/7 days a week to respond to emergencies and answer any questions you may have.
Information we will immediately need:
- The full name of the deceased
- The location of the deceased (Hospital, Nursing Facility or Residence)
- Your name, address and telephone number
- The name, address and phone number of next-of-kin
- Is there a pre-arranged funeral plan?
An appointment time will be scheduled for you to come to the funeral home to complete the funeral arrangements. Some items and information that will be necessary to complete the arrangements will include:
- Clothing for the deceased
- Social security number of the deceased
- The deceased’s birth date and city and state of birth
- The deceased’s parents names, including mother’s maiden name
- Information about the deceased’s education
- Marital status of the deceased
- Veteran’s discharge papers or Claim Number
- A recent photograph of the deceased
- Pre-arrangement paperwork (if applicable)
- Cemetery lot information (if applicable)
Also, additional items you might need to consider:
- determine the number of copies of the death certificates needed and will order them for you.
- Make a list of family, friends and business colleagues to notify. It’s helpful if you ask relatives and friends to make a few of these calls for you. Advise them of the specific people you would like them to call.
- If you wish gifts to be made to a charity, decide on which one you prefer.
- Information for an obituary. We will assist you in writing the obituary however we suggest gathering of appropriate information ie: photo, age, place of birth, cause of death, occupation, college degrees, memberships held, military service, outstanding work and a list of survivors in the immediate family.
- Keep a careful record of visitors and flower deliveries. It will make it easier to thank people later on. We will record flower deliveries to the funeral home for you.
- Coordinate the food supply in your home for the next several days.
- Delegate to friends and family who’d like to help you to clean, prepare food, etc. –If needed arrange for child care.
- Arrange hospitality for visiting relatives and friends. Holiday Inn Express is conveniently located next door to our funeral home.
- Make a list of people to acknowledge for flowers, calls, volunteered their time, etc. Send acknowledgments (written note, printed acknowledgment, or both is appropriate).
- Locate the will and notify the lawyer and executor.
- Check for all life and casualty insurance and death benefits, including Social Security, credit union, trade union, fraternal, and military. We will assist you in the claims process.
- Your Funeral Director will prepare the necessary Social Security forms. No death certificate will be necessary for this.
- If the deceased was living alone, notify utility companies and landlord.
- Notify the post office where to send the mail.
Above all remember, we are here for you. We are professionals who work with families on a daily basis and will be there every step of the way to assist you at your time of need.